Most Sunday mornings I'm at the market and you're lucky if the chefs doing demos even grunt at you as their team passes out samples. (No offense... a lot of chefs are gruff by nature!) Dean delighted the crowd with a dissertation on kitchen basics, why local ingredients matter, an extra recipe for squash blossoms, his market demo of Mustard Green Soup with Rice (recipe below) and an encore history of garlic scapes and how to cook with them (you can use them like green beans - who knew?)
|Dino's Dean Gold cooking down mustard greens for his Mustard Green Soup (photo: Tammy Gordon)|
|Cleveland Parkers: Andrew Shapiro, Chad Hamilton & Jenna Sauber (photo: Tammy Gordon)|
- 2 quarts mustard green leaves in 2 inch strips
- 1/2 onion sliced into rings
- 1/2 cup carrot rounds
- 2 cups good tomato sauce
- 4 cups veggie stock
- 1 tablespoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon finely cracked black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Sriacha sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped sage
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- Optional: lemon juice
- 1/2 cup Jasmine rice boiled til al dente
- 2 cups shredded grana cheese
- Saute onions and carrots in olive oil til they begin to soften.
- Add mustard greens and stir fry til well coated with oil and wilted.
- Add tomato sauce and veggie stock to cover. Add half the seasoned salt, sage and parsley. Simmer 2 hours or more until the greens are wilted and very well cooked.
- Adjust seasoning and add remaining herbs. If needed, add a little lemon juice for brightness. The soup should be a bit spicy.
- If serving hot, add 1-2 tablespoons of cooked rice and 1/4 cup grana cheese to each bowl
Dino is located at the corner of Connecticut and Ordway Street in Cleveland Park.